Microsoft Corporate Logo Guidelines
As a general rule, third parties may not use the Microsoft logo. On this page are the limited circumstances under which third parties may use the Microsoft logo. The logo must always be used pursuant to the specifications on this page to identify Microsoft Corporation, or Microsoft products or services. Any use that falls outside of these specifications is strictly prohibited.
Third parties may only use the logo without a license under the following limited circumstances:
- In advertising, marketing collateral, or a website that references your connection with Microsoft (e.g., the material states that you are an authorized distributor or reseller of Microsoft products) provided that the area in which the Microsoft logo is used includes the corporate logo of at least 1 other company with which you have a similar relationship.
- In an area of a website, advertising, or marketing collateral exclusively dedicated to the sale of Microsoft products, and in such a manner that associates licensed Microsoft software with the Microsoft logo.
Do not use the Microsoft corporate logo in products, product packaging, or other business services for which a formal license is required.
Microsoft Logo FAQ
We have two versions of the full color logo. Choose the logo most appropriate for your application.
- Use the positive version of the logo (full color symbol with gray logotype) on light or white backgrounds. The full-color reverse logo (full color symbol with white logotype) may be used on dark color backgrounds, as well as dark areas within photographs.
- In marketing, our logos don’t include the trademark symbol, except when they appear in consumer packaging.
- The symbol may not be separated from the logotype.
- A one-color logo is only acceptable when media reproduction is limited. In these cases, the logo may be reversed to white on a background that provides suitable contrast. A black logo is allowed when media reproduction is black only.
- For the full suite of high-res logos for both print (cmyk) and digital (rgb) use, please contact your Microsoft representative to obtain artwork files from Brand Central.
We respect the logo by giving it some space on all sides. The minimum clear space is equivalent to the height of the symbol.
The width of the logo must always be at least 72 pixels for on-screen or 1” (25.4 mm) for print, and the height of the logo must always be at least 15.5 pixels for on-screen or .22” (5.5 mm) for print.
- The logo may not be displayed as a primary or prominent feature on any non-Microsoft materials. Companies using the logo pursuant to these guidelines must also display in the primary and more prominent position, their own logo(s), business name, product names, or other branding.
- The logo may not be imitated or used as a design feature in any manner.
- The logo may not be used in a manner that would disparage Microsoft or its products or services.
- Neither the logo nor the Microsoft name may be used in any other company name, product name, service name, domain name, website title, publication title, or the like.
- Non-Microsoft materials should not mimic any Microsoft advertising, product packaging, or website design.
- The logo must be used as provided by Microsoft with no changes, including but not limited to changes in the color, proportion, or design, or removal of any words or artwork. The logo may not be animated, morphed, or otherwise distorted in perspective or appearance.
- Don't change the size relationship of the symbol to the logotype.
- Don't add effects like shadows, dimensions, or gradients.
- Don't create logo 'lockups' by adding text in close proximity to the logotype.
- Don't compress the logo.
- Don't add anything to the symbol.
- Don't alter the color specifications within the symbol or the logotype.
- Don't attach text of any kind to the symbol.
- Don't create multi-color logs for any sub-brand, business group, or division. Only the Microsoft logo may use the 4 colors.
- Don't use the symbol by itself in email signatures.
- Avoid backgrounds that provide insufficient contrast.
- Don't create patterns of tiles to simulate the elements of the logo symbol.
- Don't place the logo over busy backgrounds.
- Don't change the logotype to another typeface.
- Don't remove the lines or alter the line spacing in the symbol.
- Don't make the logo a single color.
- The logo must appear only in a horizontal position.
- The logo must stand alone and may not be combined with any other object, including but not limited to other logos, words, graphics, photos, slogans, numbers, design features, or symbols. The logo must never be used to represent the word "Microsoft" in text, including in a headline, product-name logotype, or body copy.
- The logo must not be incorporated or used in any manner as part of, or in close proximity to another company's name, domain name, product or service name, logo, trade dress, design, slogan, or other trademarks. The logo must never appear with any other symbol or icon, be contained within a box, circle, or other shape, or be combined with any other name, logo, or icon to create a co-branded logo.
Microsoft reserves the right in its sole discretion to terminate or modify permission to display the logo and may request that third parties modify or delete any use of the logo that, in Microsoft's sole judgment, does not comply with these guidelines or might otherwise impair Microsoft's rights in the logo. Microsoft further reserves the right to object to unfair uses or misuses of its trademarks or other violations of applicable law.