Windows Server 2019
In addition to your trial experience of Windows Server 2019, you can download a new feature on demand for Server Core, the App Compatibility FOD. This FOD contains additional features from the Desktop Experience to improve thecompatibility of Server Core for apps and tools used for troubleshooting and debugging. Windows features on demand can be added to images prior to deployment or to actively running computers, using the DISM command.
To learn more about FODs in general, and the DISM command, please visit DISM Capabilities Package Servicing.
Get started for free
Please select your product experience:
Windows Server 2019 is the operating system that bridges on-premises environments with Azure services enabling hybrid scenarios maximizing existing investments. Increase security and reduce business risk with multiple layers of protection built into the operating system. Evolve your datacenter infrastructure to achieve greater efficiency and scale with Hyper-converged Infrastructure. Windows Server 2019 also enables you to create cloud native and modernize traditional apps using containers and micro-services. For more details, check out the Windows Server Website.
In addition to downloading the ISO, run Windows Server on Azure. Azure provides a great way to test Windows Server 2019 with pre-built images.
Choose an edition and an installation option:
Customers who download the full ISO will need to choose an edition and an installation option. This ISO evaluation is for the Datacenter and Standard editions. The Datacenter edition is the most complete edition and includes the new Datacenter-specific features (Shielded Virtual Machines, Storage Spaces Direct, and Software-Defined Networking) in addition to unlimited server virtualization.
- Server Core: This is the recommended installation option. It’s a smaller installation that includes the core components of Windows Server and supports all server roles but does not include a local graphical user interface (GUI). It is used for “headless” deployments which are managed remotely through Windows Admin Center, PowerShell, or other server management tools.
- Server with Desktop Experience: This is the complete installation and includes a full GUI for customers who prefer this option.
Before you begin your evaluation, be sure to check out What’s new in Windows Server 2019.
When you complete your evaluation, you can convert your evaluation versions to retail. Also, check out our technical documentation to learn how to upgrade or migrate your other existing servers to Windows Server 2022.
- Chinese (Simplified), English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish
- Windows Server 2019 on Microsoft Azure
- Windows Server 2019 | 64-bit ISO
- Windows Server 2019 | 64-bit VHD
- Review Windows Server 2019 release notes and system requirements.
- Register, then download and install. (Note: This evaluation edition expires in 180 days.)
- Receive emails with resources to guide you through your evaluation.
After installation, install the latest servicing package.
- Go to: Microsoft update catalog and search for "Windows Server 2019”.
- Evaluation versions of Windows Server must activate over the internet in the first 10 days to avoid automatic shutdown.
Product Website | Windows Server solutions across on-premises and cloud
Microsoft Docs | Windows Server technical documentation
Community | Microsoft Tech Community: Windows Server
Getting Started Guide | Get started with Windows Server
Upgrade Options | Overview of Windows Server upgrades
How to Buy | Pricing and licensing for Windows Server
Windows Server is the platform for building an infrastructure of connected applications, networks, and web services, from the workgroup to the data center. It bridges on-premises environments with Azure, adding additional layers of security while helping you modernize your applications and infrastructure.
Windows Server Essentials edition is a cloud-connected first server designed for small businesses with up to 25 users and 50 devices. If you are considering installing any version of Windows Server Essentials, we would encourage you to consider Microsoft 365.
Learn more about Microsoft 365 for business
Hyper-V Server provides a simple and reliable virtualization solution to help organizations improve their server utilization and reduce costs. The latest release of Hyper-V Server provides new and enhanced features that can help you deliver the scale and performance needs of your mission-critical workloads.
Windows Admin Center is a locally deployed, browser-based app for managing Windows servers, clusters, hyper-converged infrastructure, as well as Windows 10 PCs. Giving you full control over all aspects of your server infrastructure, Windows Admin Center is particularly useful for managing servers on private networks that are not connected to the Internet.
Get started with Windows Admin Center