Windows Virtual Hardware Lab Kit
Get started for free
Please select your product experience:
The Microsoft Virtual Hardware Lab Kit (VHLK) is the entire Hardware Lab Kit pre-installed and pre-configured on a VHDX, ready to boot. Use the VHLK to save setup time, quickly stand up a controller, and run Windows Hardware Certification from a virtual machine. For more details, check out the VHLK Getting Started Guide.
- Ready to boot and use.
- Run the HLK Controller as a virtual machine.
- Host the HLK Controller virtual machine on developer machines instead of dedicated Controller hardware.
Additional information on installs
Developers, please visit the Windows Blog for more details including important guidance related to using Windows 10, version 1903 as guest Virtual Machine (VM).
- Windows Virtual Hardware Lab Kit | 64-bit VHDX
The Windows Virtual Hardware Lab Kit (VHLK) is the entire Hardware Lab Kit pre-installed and pre-configured on a VHDX, ready to boot.
- Review the Windows Virtual Hardware Lab Kit release notes and system requirements.
- Register, then download and boot the VHLK, which includes a 180-day trial of Windows Server.
- Receive an email with resources to guide you through your evaluation.
- Create a Gen-1 VM in Hyper-V to boot the VHLK as a virtual machine. Please see the getting started guide for more information, supported scenarios, and a complete setup guide.
- If you wish to use the VHLK for more than 180 days, you will require a Windows Server license.
Microsoft Docs | Windows Hardware Lab Kit technical documentation
Getting Started Guide | Getting started with the Windows Virtual Hardware Lab Kit (VHLK)
Community | Windows Hardware Compatibility Program
Windows Server is the platform for building an infrastructure of connected applications, networks, and web services, from the workgroup to the data center. It bridges on-premises environments with Azure, adding additional layers of security while helping you modernize your applications and infrastructure.
Windows Server Essentials edition is a cloud-connected first server designed for small businesses with up to 25 users and 50 devices. If you are considering installing any version of Windows Server Essentials, we would encourage you to consider Microsoft 365.
Hyper-V Server provides a simple and reliable virtualization solution to help organizations improve their server utilization and reduce costs. The latest release of Hyper-V Server provides new and enhanced features that can help you deliver the scale and performance needs of your mission-critical workloads.
Windows Admin Center is a locally deployed, browser-based app for managing Windows servers, clusters, hyper-converged infrastructure, as well as Windows 10 PCs. Giving you full control over all aspects of your server infrastructure, Windows Admin Center is particularly useful for managing servers on private networks that are not connected to the Internet.
Get started with Windows Admin Center