Windows Server 2016 Essentials
Get started for free
Please select your product experience:
Windows Server Essentials offers a flexible, affordable, and easy-to-use server solution for small businesses with up to 25 users and 50 devices. An ideal first server, Windows Server Essentials can also be used as the primary server in a multi-server environment for small businesses. Windows Server 2016 Essentials provides a wide range of new and enhanced features and capabilities for Windows Server Essentials, allowing small businesses to be more productive.
Need more information about Windows Server 2016 Essentials? See the product details page.
- Chinese (Simplified), Czech, Dutch (Netherlands), English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Russian, Spanish, Swedish (Sweden), Turkish
- Windows Server 2016 Essentials | 64-bit ISO
Microsoft 365 for business: The modern small business solution
Over the years since Windows Server 2016 Essentials was released, we have been working hard on the next solution for large and small businesses alike: Microsoft 365. We highly recommend Microsoft 365 for small business customers as a replacement for all versions of Windows Server Essentials. Microsoft 365 is a modern solution for file sharing and collaboration, and includes Microsoft 365, Windows 10, and Enterprise Mobility + Security.
Evolve your business further with Microsoft 365 for business, which includes even more Office App features like e-mail and calendaring, file storage in the cloud, data protection, and more. Microsoft 365 Business will help your small business achieve new levels of productivity.
- Review Windows Server 2016 Essentials release notes and system requirements.
- Register, then download and install. Windows Server 2016 Essentials evaluation editions expire in 180 days.
- Receive emails with resources to guide you through your evaluation.
- Windows Server 2016 Essentials will need to be re-installed when moving from prior versions to production bits. See the Installation, Migration, and Upgrade information.
- Product key: NCPR7-K6YH2-BRXYM-QMPPQ-3PF6X
Things to Know
- More than 25 users or 50 devices?
- Did you know that you can run Windows Server 2016 Essentials within Windows Server 2016 Datacenter?
Try the Windows Server 2016 Datacenter evaluation
Product Website | Windows Server solutions across on-premises and cloud
Microsoft Docs | Windows Server Essentials technical documentation
Community | Microsoft Tech Community: Windows Server
Getting Started Guide | Before You Install Windows Server Essentials
Product Resources | New and enhanced features in Windows Server 2016 Essentials
Upgrade Options | Evolve your business further with Microsoft 365 for business
Windows Server is the platform for building an infrastructure of connected applications, networks, and web services, from the workgroup to the data center. It bridges on-premises environments with Azure, adding additional layers of security while helping you modernize your applications and infrastructure.
Windows Server Essentials edition is a cloud-connected first server designed for small businesses with up to 25 users and 50 devices. If you are considering installing any version of Windows Server Essentials, we would encourage you to consider Microsoft 365.
Hyper-V Server provides a simple and reliable virtualization solution to help organizations improve their server utilization and reduce costs. The latest release of Hyper-V Server provides new and enhanced features that can help you deliver the scale and performance needs of your mission-critical workloads.
Windows Admin Center is a locally deployed, browser-based app for managing Windows servers, clusters, hyper-converged infrastructure, as well as Windows 10 PCs. Giving you full control over all aspects of your server infrastructure, Windows Admin Center is particularly useful for managing servers on private networks that are not connected to the Internet.
Get started with Windows Admin Center