Windows Server 2016
Get started for free
Please select your product experience:
Windows Server 2016 is the cloud-ready operating system that delivers new layers of security and Azure-inspired innovation for the applications and infrastructure that power your business.
In addition to downloading the ISO, run Windows Server on Azure. Azure provides a great way to test Windows Server 2016 with pre-built images.
Choose an edition and an installation option:
Customers who download the full ISO will need to choose an edition and an installation option. This ISO evaluation is for the Datacenter and Standard editions. The Datacenter edition is the most complete edition and includes the new datacenter-specific features (Shielded Virtual Machines, Storage Spaces Direct, Storage Replica, and Software-Defined Networking) in addition to unlimited server virtualization.
- Server Core: This is the recommended installation option. It’s a smaller installation that includes the core components of Windows Server and supports all server roles but does not include a local GUI. It is used for “headless” deployments which are managed remotely via PowerShell or other server management tools.
- Server with Desktop Experience: This is the complete installation and includes a full graphical user interface (GUI) for customers who prefer this option.
Before you begin your evaluation, be sure to check out What’s new in Windows Server 2016.
When you complete your evaluation, you can convert your evaluation versions to retail. Also, check out our technical documentation to learn how to upgrade or migrate your other existing servers to Windows Server 2016.
- Chinese (Simplified), English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish
- Windows Server 2016 | 64-bit ISO
- Windows Server 2016 on Microsoft Azure
- Review Windows Server 2016 release notes and system requirements.
- Register, then download and install. Windows Server 2016 evaluation editions expire in 180 days.
- Receive email with resources to guide you through your evaluation.
After installation, install the latest servicing package.
- Go to: Microsoft update catalog and search for "Windows Server 2016.”
- Evaluation versions of Windows Server must activate over the internet in the first 10 days to avoid automatic shutdown.
The Nano Server deployment option in the Windows Server 2016 eval ISO is supported for host and guest VM deployments until the Spring 2018 release of Windows Server. Starting with the Fall 2017 release, Nano Server has been optimized for container use only and Server Core is available for host and guest VM deployments.
Product Website | Windows Server solutions across on-premises and cloud
Microsoft Docs | Windows Server technical documentation
Community | Microsoft Tech Community: Windows Server
Getting Started Guide | Get started with Windows Server
Upgrade Options | Overview of Windows Server upgrades
How to Buy | Pricing and licensing for Windows Server
Windows Server is the platform for building an infrastructure of connected applications, networks, and web services, from the workgroup to the data center. It bridges on-premises environments with Azure, adding additional layers of security while helping you modernize your applications and infrastructure.
Windows Server Essentials edition is a cloud-connected first server designed for small businesses with up to 25 users and 50 devices. If you are considering installing any version of Windows Server Essentials, we would encourage you to consider Microsoft 365.
Hyper-V Server provides a simple and reliable virtualization solution to help organizations improve their server utilization and reduce costs. The latest release of Hyper-V Server provides new and enhanced features that can help you deliver the scale and performance needs of your mission-critical workloads.
Windows Admin Center is a locally deployed, browser-based app for managing Windows servers, clusters, hyper-converged infrastructure, as well as Windows 10 PCs. Giving you full control over all aspects of your server infrastructure, Windows Admin Center is particularly useful for managing servers on private networks that are not connected to the Internet.
Get started with Windows Admin Center .