PhD in Computer Science, 1990, Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria.
Master’s Degree in Electronics, 1984, Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria.
Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, USA: various positions in COM+ and Application Center teams, 1998-2001. Joined Microsoft Research in 2001.
Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria: Assistant Professor, 1989-1998, Faculty of Electronic Engineering and Technology (lectures and labs for “Data and Signal Processing” and “Real time systems programming”).
Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria: Researcher, 1986-1989, Research and Development Department
Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria: R&D engineer, 1984-1986, Research and Development Department
Multichannel audio signals processing
Algorithms for arrays of transducers (microphones, speakers, antennas)
Processing of signals for enhancement, de-noising, de-reverberation, etc.
Statistical processing of audio, biological, radio signals
Affiliated Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering in University of Washington, Seattle, since 2012.
Member of IEEE Signal Processing Society Standing Committee on Industrial Digital Signal Processing (IDSP) since 2012.
Member of IEEE Signal Processing Society Technical Committee on Audio and Acoustic Signal Processing (AASP) 2009-2013, affiliated member after that.
Reviewer for most of the signal and audio processing journals.
Member of the TC of International Workshop on Acoustics, Echo and Noise Control (IWAENC) since 2006. One of the organizers of IWAENC 2008 in Seattle.
Member of the TC of Workshop on Applications of Signal Processing to Audio and Acoustics (WASPAA) since 2006.
Senior Member of IEEE since 2006.
Member of AES, served as member of the AES Pacific Northwest Committee 2006-2016.
Co-founder in 1986 and organizational secretary for 12 years of the International Conference Systems for Automation of Engineering and Research (SAER), now serving as member of the International Organizing Committee. The conference name has recently been updated to International Conference on Information Technologies INFOTECH.
- Microsoft HoloLens – audio architecture for all four audio subsystems, DSP algorithms
- Windows 10 – audio DSP algorithms
- Kinect for Xbox One – audio pipeline architecture, DSP algorithms
- Kinect for Windows – audio pipeline architecture, DSP algorithms
- Kinect for Xbox 360 – audio pipeline architecture, DSP algorithms
- Windows Embedded for Automotive 7.0 – speech enhancement algorithms
- Microsoft Auto platform 4.1 – speech enhancement algorithms
- Windows Vista – microphone array support
- Microsoft Round Table Device – audio architecture, microphone array support
- Application Center 2000 – performance, interoperability, end-to-end scenarios
- Windows 2000 – COM+ feature (object pooling, end-to-end scenarios)
Selected presentations and talks
- Keynote “Capture, representation, and rendering of 3D audio for virtual and augmented reality”, AES International Conference on Audio for Virtual and Augmented Reality, August 2018.
- Keynote “Audio Challenges in Virtual and Augmented Reality Devices”, International Workshop on Acoustic Signal Enhancement (IWAENC), Xian, China, September 2016.
- Lecture “Spatial Audio and its Applications”, meeting of the Pacific Northwest Section of AES, May 2016.
- Tutorial “Optimization methods and their applications in DSP”, IEEE International Conference on Emerging Signal Processing Applications, Las Vegas, January 2012.
- Keynote “Recent Advances in Human-Machine Interfaces for Gaming and Entertainment” during the opening session of the 25th International Conference Infotech 2011, St. Constantine and Elena resort, Varna, Bulgaria, September 2011.
- Keynote “Novel Electronic Sensors and their Applications in the Human-Machine Interfaces for Gaming and Entertainment” during the opening session of the 20th International Scientific Conference “Electronics ET 2011”, Sozopol, Bulgaria, September 2011.
- Keynote “Hands-free Sound Capture and Microphone Array in Kinect” during HSMA 2011 conference, Edinburgh, UK, May 2011.
- Lecture “Audio for Kinect: almost impossible” in the Open University Skolkovo, Moscow, Russia, June 2011 (announcement here).
- MIX 2011 conference, March 2011, Las Vegas, NV, USA:
- “Kinect Audio: Preparedness Pays Off”, interview by Rob Knies, April 2011.
- “3D Stereo Media” conference, December 2010, Liege, Belgium:
- Talk “Applications of 3D range cameras in multimodal user interfaces for gaming and entertainment”
- Talk “Sound capture for high-end entertainment and gaming equipment and its applications”
- “Sound Capture Applications in Entertainment and Gaming”, meeting of the Pacific Northwest Section of AES, December 2010 [video].
- “Audio for entertainment and gaming”, tutorial during 3DTV CON 2010, June 2010, Tampere, Finland.
- “Sound capture and its applications in entertainment, gaming, and telepresence”, short course during the summer school for grad students in Technical University of Tampere, June 2010, Tampere, Finland.
- “Sound Capture for Multimedia Systems”, tutorial during ICME 2009, June 2009, New York, NY, USA.
- “Commute UX: Telephone Dialog System for Location-based Services”. Presentation during SIGdial Workshop on Disclosure and Dialogue 2007, Antwerp, Belgium, September 2007. [PDF]
- “Defeating Ambient Noise: Practical Approaches for Noise Reduction and Suppression”. Tutorial during IEEE International Conference of Acoustic, Speech and Signal Processing ICASSP 2006, Toulouse, France, May 2006. [Slides, References]
- “Microphone Array for Headset with Spatial Noise Suppressor”. Presentation during Ninth International Workshop on Acoustic, Echo and Noise Control IWAENC 2005, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, September 2005. [PDF]
- “Microphone Array Support in Windows Longhorn”. Presentation during Windows Hardware Experience Conference WinHEC 2005, Seattle, USA, May 2005. The same talk given during WinHEC 2005, Taipei, Taiwan, June 2005. [PDF]
- “Microphone Array Project in Microsoft Research: Approach and Results”. Presentation in National Taiwan University and Academia Sinica, July 2004, Taipei, Taiwan. [PDF]
- “Improving Meetings with Microphone Array Algorithms”. Presentation during Machine Learning Meets the User Interface Workshop, Neural Information Processing Systems NIPS 2003, Whistler, Canada, December 2003. [PDF]
- “Application Center 2000 Interoperability and Reliability”. Presentation during Application Center 2000 Airlift, Redmond, USA, May 2001. [PDF]