- Several short specializations in the area of eLearning in France (ENIC, ENSEA) and Italy (Bologna University) (1995-1996).
- PhD in Computer Science, 1990, Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Master’s Degree in Electronics, 1984, Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Microsoft Corporation, Redmond, USA: various positions in COM+ and Application Center teams, 1998-2001. Joined Microsoft Research in 2001.
- Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria: Assistant Professor, 1989-1998, Faculty of Electronic Engineering and Technology (lectures and labs for “Data and Signal Processing” and “Real time systems programming”)
- Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria: Researcher, 1986-1989, Research and Development Department
- Technical University of Sofia, Bulgaria: R&D engineer, 1984-1986, Research and Development Department
- Multichannel audio signals processing
- Algorithms for arrays of transducers (microphones, speakers, antennas)
- Processing of signals for enhancement, de-noising, de-reverberation, etc.
- Statistical processing of audio, biological, radio signals
- Microsoft HoloLens – audio architecture for all four audio subsystems, DSP algorithms
- Windows 10 – audio DSP algorithms
- Kinect for Xbox One – audio pipeline architecture, DSP algorithms
- Kinect for Windows – audio pipeline architecture, DSP algorithms
- Kinect for Xbox 360 – audio pipeline architecture, DSP algorithms
- Windows Embedded for Automotive 7.0 – speech enhancement algorithms
- Microsoft Auto platform 4.1 – speech enhancement algorithms
- Windows Vista – microphone array support
- Microsoft Round Table Device – audio architecture, microphone array support
- Application Center 2000 – performance, interoperability, end-to-end scenarios
- Windows 2000 – COM+ feature (object pooling, end-to-end scenarios)
Selected presentations and talks
- Keynote “Capture, representation, and rendering of 3D audio for virtual and augmented reality”, AES International Conference on Audio for Virtual and Augmented Reality, August 2018.
- Keynote “Audio Challenges in Virtual and Augmented Reality Devices”, International Workshop on Acoustic Signal Enhancement (IWAENC), Xian, China, September 2016.
- Lecture “Spatial Audio and its Applications”, meeting of the Pacific Northwest Section of AES, May 2016.
- Tutorial “Optimization methods and their applications in DSP”, IEEE International Conference on Emerging Signal Processing Applications, Las Vegas, January 2012.
- Keynote “Recent Advances in Human-Machine Interfaces for Gaming and Entertainment” during the opening session of the 25th International Conference Infotech 2011, St. Constantine and Elena resort, Varna, Bulgaria, September 2011.
- Keynote “Novel Electronic Sensors and their Applications in the Human-Machine Interfaces for Gaming and Entertainment” during the opening session of the 20th International Scientific Conference “Electronics ET 2011”, Sozopol, Bulgaria, September 2011.
- Keynote “Hands-free Sound Capture and Microphone Array in Kinect” during HSMA 2011 conference, Edinburgh, UK, May 2011.
- Lecture “Audio for Kinect: almost impossible” in the Open University Skolkovo, Moscow, Russia, June 2011 (announcement here).
- MIX 2011 conference, March 2011, Las Vegas, NV, USA:
- “Kinect Audio: Preparedness Pays Off”, interview by Rob Knies, April 2011.
- “3D Stereo Media” conference, December 2010, Liege, Belgium:
- Talk “Applications of 3D range cameras in multimodal user interfaces for gaming and entertainment”
- Talk “Sound capture for high-end entertainment and gaming equipment and its applications”
- “Sound Capture Applications in Entertainment and Gaming”, meeting of the Pacific Northwest Section of AES, December 2010 [video].
- “Audio for entertainment and gaming”, tutorial during 3DTV CON 2010, June 2010, Tampere, Finland.
- “Sound capture and its applications in entertainment, gaming, and telepresence”, short course during the summer school for grad students in Technical University of Tampere, June 2010, Tampere, Finland.
- “Sound Capture for Multimedia Systems”, tutorial during ICME 2009, June 2009, New York, NY, USA.
- “Commute UX: Telephone Dialog System for Location-based Services”. Presentation during SIGdial Workshop on Disclosure and Dialogue 2007, Antwerp, Belgium, September 2007. [PDF]
- “Defeating Ambient Noise: Practical Approaches for Noise Reduction and Suppression”. Tutorial during IEEE International Conference of Acoustic, Speech and Signal Processing ICASSP 2006, Toulouse, France, May 2006. [Slides, References]
- “Microphone Array for Headset with Spatial Noise Suppressor”. Presentation during Ninth International Workshop on Acoustic, Echo and Noise Control IWAENC 2005, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, September 2005. [PDF]
- “Microphone Array Support in Windows Longhorn”. Presentation during Windows Hardware Experience Conference WinHEC 2005, Seattle, USA, May 2005. The same talk given during WinHEC 2005, Taipei, Taiwan, June 2005. [PDF]
- “Microphone Array Project in Microsoft Research: Approach and Results”. Presentation in National Taiwan University and Academia Sinica, July 2004, Taipei, Taiwan. [PDF]
- “Improving Meetings with Microphone Array Algorithms”. Presentation during Machine Learning Meets the User Interface Workshop, Neural Information Processing Systems NIPS 2003, Whistler, Canada, December 2003. [PDF]
- “Application Center 2000 Interoperability and Reliability”. Presentation during Application Center 2000 Airlift, Redmond, USA, May 2001. [PDF]