“Our mission is to empower operators, enterprises, and governments with ubiquitous computing delivered over a secure programmable network.”
As former systems & networking researchers and engineers at Microsoft Research, we are now the Office of the CTO team in Azure for Operators (AFO OCTO). We are building research & technology in distributed systems, mobile systems, network verification, security, wide-area networking, and wireless networking to bring the power of the cloud to the 5G telecommunications industry.
AFO OCTO does research and development in multiple areas of networking, security, and systems. We build working systems, engage with academia, publish scientific papers, publish software for the research community, and deploy cutting-edge technologies to Azure and our customers. Individuals in our group have published in top academic conferences including ACM SIGCOMM, ACM MobiCom, ACM MobiSys, USENIX NSDI, IEEE S&P, and USENIX Security. We have had massive impact on the Azure Network by productizing research technologies including Software Defined Networking, Hardware-accelerated Datapath, and Network Verification. Find out more about our history at Mobility and Networking Research Group.
☛ We are seeking R&D Intern candidates with stellar technical skills and backgrounds in distributed systems, mobile systems, network verification, security, wide-area networking, and wireless networking in Redmond, US and Cambridge, UK. To apply, please visit Research Intern – Azure for Operators in Redmond, Washington, United States | Research at Microsoft and Internship Opportunities: R&D Azure for Operators in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom | Research at Microsoft.
Find out more about Azure for Operators at
- Microsoft partners with the telecommunications industry to roll out 5G and more
- Azure for Operators | Satya Nadella CEO of Microsoft
- Microsoft Build 2021 case study with Telstra on building innovative AI solutions on 5G infrastructure (May 2021)
- Landon gave a talk on network programmability at Open Edge Computing Workshop. (May 2021)
- Five papers accepted in SIGCOMM 2021! Congratulations to Ryan, Xenofon, Daehyeok, Bozidar, and Rachee! (May 2021)
- Victor receives the Distinguished Alumni Award from University of Massachusetts, College of Engineering (Apr 2021)
- Indoor Location Competition 2.0 launched on Kaggle! (Jan. 2021)
- Francis Yan received the IRTF Applied Networking Research Prize (Jan. 2021)
- Ganesh Ananthanarayanan gave a lecture on live video analytics at MIT’s grad networking class (Dec. 2020)
- Ganesh Ananthanarayanan and Yuanchao Shu won the ACM/IEEE SEC 2020 Best Paper Award (Nov. 2020)
- Landon Cox received the SIGOPS Hall of Fame Award (Nov. 2020)
- Ganesh Ananthanarayanan won the CSAW 2020 Applied Research Competition Award (Runner-up) (Nov. 2020)