The application period is now closed for 2019-2020.
Gain new AI skills and experience while tackling real-world challenges
In September 2018 we welcomed our first cohort of residents into the program and are excited about the future impact on the fields of AI and machine learning. While the first class of residents are currently here and learning new skills we are eager to meet our 2019/2020 class!
Through our Microsoft AI Residency program you will have the opportunity to work alongside prominent researchers and engineers in either Redmond, WA, or Cambridge, UK. You will build your skills and get hands-on experience working on practical AI and machine learning problems that help tackle some of society’s toughest challenges.
We are searching for a diverse range of researchers, engineers, and applied scientists with unique perspectives, including candidates who may not have a traditional background in AI, but who are passionate about working on AI technologies to solve real-world challenges.
In this year-long program, selected residents will:
- Gain real-world, hands-on industry experience while working with Microsoft researchers, engineers, and product teams.
- Learn how to develop and deploy AI techniques and solutions at scale across a range of areas such as healthcare, scientific discovery, productivity, and gaming.
- Benefit from a rich program of training and mentorship.
- Be part of a vibrant AI and machine learning community in Cambridge, UK, or Redmond, WA.
- Receive competitive compensation and be encouraged to apply for a regular position at Microsoft at the end the residency program.
We look forward to working with candidates that can carry the work forward into the future.
- BSc, MSc, and PhD graduates with substantial coursework in, but not limited to: computer science, electrical engineering, data science, mathematics, physics, economics, human-computer interaction, and computational biology.
- Experience developing in at least one high-level language such as Python or C/C++/C#.
- Experience with machine learning techniques or deep learning frameworks is desirable.
- Enthusiasm to move into the field is essential.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary environment.
- Strong communication skills.
2018 – 19 residents have been identified, please check back in the Fall for details of the 2019-20 residency program.
What is Microsoft looking for in a candidate for the Microsoft AI Residency program?
The ideal candidate will have a passion for leveraging their expertise from computer science work and/or other technical fields to solve real-world challenges by applying artificial intelligence (AI). We are looking for candidates with substantial coursework in, but not limited to: computer science, electrical engineering, data science, mathematics, physics, economics, human-computer interaction, and computational biology. Experience developing in at least one high-level language such as Python or C/C++/C# or experience with machine learning techniques or deep learning frameworks is desirable.
I have been out of school for several years, am I still eligible?
Yes, we will consider people with various degrees and experiences.
How do I apply and what does the application timeline look like?
While we reserve the right to adjust the timeline below based on hiring needs of the company and program, we anticipate the following:
- Application Period: November 5, 2018 – January 31, 2019
- Interview Period: February – Mid-March, 2019
- Notification of Admission: Late March – April, 2019
What documents do I need to prepare in order to apply?
You will need to prepare and upload a cover letter and curriculum vitae (CV) in one document. Please follow the detailed instructions when applying for each of the residencies at the Cambridge and Redmond Labs.
What makes a good cover letter?
A good cover letter for this program is inclusive of at least two things. The first; what do you want to get from the AI Residency? The second; it’s helpful if you give us a bit more detail on your most recent project work and your current passions. Some other tips are to give specific examples of key achievements in your academic or professional career and don’t repeat your resume.
What benefits will I receive during the program?
The resident program offers benefits designed to give you a world-class experience. You will receive competitive pay, custom AI training from top researchers and engineers and wonderful health and care benefits.
Where is the residency program based?
The program is based out of two labs; Redmond, Washington, USA, and Cambridge, United Kingdom.
Will Microsoft sponsor my work authorization?
Where required, Microsoft will support the immigration process for eligible applicants. We will determine the best available visa/work authorization option. For those seeking employment in the USA, please note that the H1-B is not an option as this is a fixed term role.
What can I expect at the completion of the residency program?
Residents will be encouraged to apply for a full time, relevant, position at Microsoft at the end of their residency.
Will I be able to publish my work as a resident?
Yes, Microsoft strongly encourages you to publish your work to top tier venues and conferences.
What does the support system look like?
As a resident, you will experience an open-door environment designed to encourage you to set up a meeting with anyone at Microsoft. We encourage you to explore all areas of Microsoft while here and network through the company as desired.
From a formal project side, you will be assigned to a mentor/project lead who will be available to you as you work through your professional growth and project milestones. Bottom line, we want you to feel supported while you are here with us!
Have questions not covered in the FAQs?
Feel free to send your questions to AIResidency@microsoft.com.
Please note the alias above cannot assist you in writing a resume or advise on specific courses or experiences needed. You can refer to the job description and if you feel you meet the basic requirements, we encourage you to apply.