I am a research developer with the Applied Sciences and Engineering group at MSR India. I am broadly interested in the areas of machine learning and applied ML projects. My current focus is to combine program synthesis and analysis algorithms with ML models. Here are some of my current projects:
- HDEF: In this project, we proposed a novel disjunctive synthesis algorithm which combines noisy labels from a ML model with program synthesis to automatically synthesize extraction wrappers. Here is our PLDI’19 paper on the same. This work is also deployed in Microsoft Exchange.
- Omega (Combining ML model and rules): This is a more exploratory project where we seek to come up with a framework where ML models and domain rules (human-written or synthesized) can co-exist and evolve with time.
- Ads decorations: In this project, I work closely with the Bing Ads team and lead an effort on entity extractions from Ad landing pages to make an Ad snippet more useful. This effort has lead to many mainstreaming in Bing Ads, in multiple markets, resulting in significant revenue gains.
- Azure Purview: Here, I lead an effort to introduce AI-based solutions to various data governance tasks. The main challenges in this space pertain to data compliance and scale.
I’ve had the pleasure of mentoring a few amazing Research Fellows and interns:
- Arnav Chavan, working with me on HDEF project
- Atharv Sonwane, working with me on Jigsaw project
- Mohammad Taufeeque (co-mentor), worked on Omega. Joining Georgia Tech for his PhD.
- Naman Jain (co-mentor), worked on Jigsaw. Currently pursuing his PhD at UC Berkeley.
- Skanda Vaidyanath (co-mentor), worked on Jigsaw. Currently pursuing his Master’s at Stanford
- Lincy Pattanaik, worked on Robust Synthesis project. Currently pursuing her Master’s at UMass.
- Anirudh Khatry, worked on Robust Synthesis project, joined Microsoft PROSE team as Research Fellow.
- Priyan Vaithilingam, contributed to InLook and CodeTalk projects. Currently pursuing his PhD at Harvard
- Venkatesh Potluri, contributed to CodeTalk project. Currently pursuing his PhD at UW
- Shruti Rijhwani, contributed to InLook and Fuzzy Search projects. Currently pursuing her PhD at CMU
- Ishani Ghose, contributed to HDEF project. Currently pursuing masters at Rutgers.
- Abhinav Duggal, contributed to InLook project. Joined Microsoft Bing Ads, Bangalore
- Chetan Bansal, contributed to Delve project. Joined Microsoft Research
- Vishwajit Kolathur, contributed to Delve project. Joined Amazon AWS, Seattle
- Pranav Ramarao, contributed to InLook and CodeTalk projects. Joined Google, MV
- Afroz Ahamad, contributed to CodeTalk project. Joined Google, Bangalore
- and many more…
I have worked on ML projects in Delve/Office graph, resource-constrained environments, email relevance and reviews ranking to name a few. I have contributed to the ELL and EdgeML libraries. Many ideas from my hackathon project InLook have found their way into Outlook. I also led an effort in making programming accessible to visual impaired developers. My project CodeTalk won a honorable mention in CHI’18 conference.
Before coming to MSR India, I did a short one year stint at Yahoo Research, Bangalore where I worked with Dr. Rajeev Rastogi on problems related to product title de-duplication, along with other problems on entity matching.
I was a software developer in Bing team at Microsoft India Development Center for three years before this, wherein I was responsible for Bing instance answers on events and tennis related queries, Bing events and attraction verticals and problems related to data de-duplication. Specifically, I worked on Bing-FanSnap integration which garnered positive press.