I am interested in algorithms and interfaces for improved information retrieval, as well as general issues in human-computer interaction. I have been at Microsoft Research since July 1997. My current research focuses on gaze-enhanced interaction, the temporal dynamics of information systems, user modeling and personalization, novel interfaces for interactive retrieval, and search evaluation. Previous research studied a variety of information access and management challenges, including personal information management, desktop search, question answering, text categorization, collaborative filtering, interfaces for improving search and navigation, and user/task modeling. I have worked closely with several Microsoft groups (Bing, Windows Desktop Search, SharePoint Portal Server, and Office Online Help) on search-related innovations.
Prior to coming to Microsoft, I co-developed a statistical method for concept-based retrieval known as Latent Semantic Indexing. You can find pointers to this work on the Bellcore (now Telcordia) LSI page.
Other Papers and Talks Online
- Many of my earlier papers can be found on the Bellcore/Telcordia LSI page.
- S. Deerwester, S.T. Dumais, G.W. Furnas, T.K. Landauer and R. Harshman (1990). Indexing by Latent Semantic Analysis. Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 41(6), 391-407.
- T.K. Landauer and S.T. Dumais (1997). A solution to Plato’s problem: the Latent Semantic Analysis theory of acquisition, induction and representation of knowledge. (html) Psychological Review, 104(2), 211-240. This paper takes a somewhat broader cognitive science perspective on dimension reduction and inductive learning.
Awards and Activities
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2015.
- ACM-W Athena Lecture Award, 2014-1015.
- Tony Kent Strix Award, 2014.
- Washington State Academy of Sciences, 2011.
- National Academy of Engineering (NAE), 2011.
- ACM SIGIR Salton Award (for lifetime achievement), 2009.
- ACM Fellow, elected 2006.
- CHI Academy, elected 2005.
- Chair of ACM:SIGIR, 1999-2003.
- Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory, Science and Technology Advisory Board. 2009-2012.
- National Research Council, Board on Assessment of NIST Programs. 2001-2005.
- National Research Council, Computer Science and Telecommunications Board committee on Computing and Communications Research to Enable Better Use of Information Technology in Government. 1998-2000.
- CHI Program Committee, 2000-2009; Area Chair 2002, 2003; Co-Chair 1994.
- SIGIR Program Committee, 2000-2014; Area Chair 2001, 2005, 2009; Co-Chair 2006.
- WWW Program Committee, 2002-20079.
- CIKM Program Committee, 2000-2005, 2007-2008.
- HLT/NAACL Program Committee, 2003-2005; Co-Chair 2004.
- JCDL Program Committee, 2002, 2004.
- KDD Program Committee, 2000, 2003, 2007.
- RIAO Program Committee, 2000, 2003, 2009.
- AAAI Program Committee, 2001, 2004.
- ACL Program Committee, 2003.
- NIPS Program Committee, 2002.
- TREC Program Committee, 1992-2009.
- Associate Editor Handbook of Applied Cognition, second edition (2007), Frank Durso, editor, John Wiley and Sons.
- Associate Editor Handbook of Applied Cognition (1999), Frank Durso, editor, John Wiley and Sons.
- Advisory Board Annual Review of Information Science and Technology (ARIST), Blaise Cronin, editor.
- Editorial Board Human Computer Interaction, Tom Moran, editor.
- Editorial Board ACM: Transactions on Information Systems, Gary Marchionini, editor.
- Editorial Board ACM: Transactions on Human Computer Interaction, Jack Carroll, editor.
- Editorial Board Information Processing and Management, Tefko Saracevic, editor.
- Editorial Board Information Retrieval, Paul Kantor, Josiane Mothe and Justin Zobel, editors.
- Editorial Board Foundations and Trends in Information Retrieval. Jamie Callan and Fabrizio Sebastiani, editors.
- Editorial Board New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia (NRHM), Douglas Tudhope, editor.