One of the main insights is to use Bing’s query log to mine synonyms. However, simple techniques like using co-click frequencies are not adequate; we developed new features like pseudo-document similarity and context similarity. Furthermore, we leverage other data sources like web lists, web tables and certain text patterns to mine synonyms.
- We worked closely with Bing and Azure DataMarket teams to release the the Synonym API so that external developers can integrate the synonym knowledge into their applications (e.g., e-commerce search application). It is part of Bing Dev Center along with the other Bing APIs.
- We have integrated our synonym technology into Dynamics AX for Retail to power their e-commerce search functionality.
- Synonyms technology is used by Bing Sports as well to return relevant information when people search for sports teams, players, leagues, etc. For example, when users search for `tampabaybucs’, they leverage our synonyms to return “information card” about Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Synonym technology is used to enhance product search in Bing Shopping
- Synonym technology is used by Bing Ads for matching keyword queries with advertisements