What it is
Applications closed on August 16, 2017.
Microsoft Research partnered with NSF’s Big Data Regional Innovation hubs by awarding cloud credits for research. The South Big Data Innovation Hub was excited to offer researchers the opportunity to apply for cloud computing resources to support their data-intensive research projects. Please refer to the South Big Data Hub website to learn more about areas of emphasis and universities and states involved with the South Big Data hub effort. We recognize that the current landscape of cloud-based research makes heavy use of data that can take advantage of Azure services and tools to efficiently drive insights. Specifically, we sought proposals for projects that used, but were not limited to, Cortana Intelligence services such as Machine Learning, Stream Analytics, Data Factory, Event Hubs, Cognitive Services and HDInsight-based services. Projects could have been in any research discipline, as long as they clearly articulated the data that the proposed research relied on, and the Azure-based analytics services that would be used.
South BD Hub Azure for Research awardees
- Prashanti Manda, Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Lisa Singh, Professor of Computer Science, Georgetown University
- Graham MacDonald, Data Scientist, Senior Manager for Data Technology and Innovation, Urban Institute
- Ragib Hasan, Associate Professor, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Ahmed Abbasi, Murray Research Professor, Director – Center for Business Analytics, University of Virginia
- Da Yan, Assistant Professor, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- John Craft, Research Assistant Professor, University of Houston
If you have questions about the awards program, please email us at email@example.com.