CV (Updated October 2018)
My primary research interests in the fields of Deep Learning and Natural Language Processing, with broader interests in long form text generation, automatic summarization, improving encoder-decoder models, conversational dialog modeling. Specifically, i am interested in working in the fields of:
- Statistical Natural Language Processing (NLP): Learning semantic relations to understand unstructured text, teaching machines to do tasks such as completing tasks for humans, video understanding, multi-modal knowledge learning, reasoning and synthesis.
- Long Form Generation: Deep modelling of the long-term context, simulating the world to learn to generate creative and coherent stories, building multi-agents systems that can learn from the environment and work collaboratively in generating stories and summarizing multiple documents, videos, image threads.
- Language Generation and Conversational Dialog Systems: Building conversational agents that can help users in their daily activities by learning from their environments, language understanding for generating coherent and human like responses.
- New! Paper on Vision Language Navigation accepted at CVPR 2019!
- New! Co-Organizing NAACL 2019 Workshop! : “NeuralGen: Methods for Optimizing and Evaluating Neural Language Generation“
- New! Co-Organizing NAACL 2019 Workshop! : “SpLU-RoboNLP 2019: Spatial Language Understanding (SpLU) & Grounded Communication for Robotics (RoboNLP)“
- New! Paper on Visual Story Generation accepted at AAAI 2019 (%14 acceptance rate)
- Senior Area Chair at AAAI 2019 on Generation
- Giving a tutorial at COLING 2018 in Santa Fe, New Mexico (link)
- 2 papers accepted for NAACL 2018 on Reward-Driven Long Form Generation
- Published two book chapters on Deep Learning for NLP in Springer, 2018.
- Senior Area Chair ACL 2018 : “Dialog and Interactive Systems”
- Invited Talk on Language Generation at the NIPS 2018 Conversational AI Workshop
- Newly elected IEEE SLT Member for 2018-2020
- Presented Tutorial on Deep Learning for Dialog Systems at ACL 2017 in Vancouver
- Presented Tutorial on Deep Learning for Dialog Systems at ICASSP 2017 in New Orleans
- Presented Tutorial on Deep Learning for Dialog Systems at Interspeech 2017 in Sweden.
- Area Editor for TACL (Transactions of Association for Computational Linguistics
Microsoft Research, Senior Researcher, 2010-Present
University of California, Berkeley, Post-Doc Research Employee, 2008-2010
University of Toronto, Ph.D., Research Assistant, 2005-2008
University of Toronto, Masters, Information Science, 2003-2005
Information Intelligence Corporation, Toronto, Machine Learning and Data Mining Analyst, 2002-2003
Ford Motor Company, Data Mining Specialist, 1997-1999
Post-Doctorate Research, Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley, 2008-2010
University of Toronto, Ph.D., Information Science, 2005-2008
University of Toronto, Masters, Information Science, 2005-2003
Computer Programming and Analysis, Information Science, Seneca College, 2000-2002
Bachelor of Applied Science, Industrial Engineering, Istanbul Technical University, 1993-1997
Prasoon Goyal , University of Texas, Austin, Summer 2019.
Ramakanth Pasunuru , UNC Chapel Hill, Summer 2019.
Hannah Rashkin , University of Washington, Summer 2019.
Xin (Eric) Wang , University of California, Santa Barbara, Summer 2018, Graph Learning for Visual and Language Navigation
Amr Sharaf , University of Maryland, Summer 2018, Multi-Teacher Framework via Imitation Learning for Story Generation
Antoine Bosselut, University of Washington, Summer 2017, Winter 2018, Summer 2018, Reward-Based Long form Text Generation, and Deep Communicating Agents.
Elizabeth Clark , University of Washington, Summer 2018, Evaluation Metrics for Text Generation
Dinghan Shen, Duke University, Summer 2018, Latent Variable Models
Zhe Gan, Duke University, Summer 2017, Hierarchical Reinforcement Learning.
Baolin Peng, Chinese University of Hong Kong, in 2017 on Dialog Policy Learning for Composite Tasks.
Joo-Kyung Kim, Ohio State University, in 2016 on Intent Classification using Semantically Enriched Word Embeddings (now at Amazon)
Yangfeng Ji, Georgia Tech, in 2013 on Latent Variable Models of Intent Detection.
Young-Bum Kim, University of Wisconsin, Madison, in 2013 on Task Dependent Word Embeddings for Slot Filling in Conversational Understanding (now at Amazon)
Aditya Bhargava, University of Toronto, in 2012 on Context Analysis for Conversational Dialog.
Svitlana Volkova, John Hopkins University, in 2011 on Sentiment Analysis in Conversational Text. (now at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory)
Honors and Awards
Best Paper Award, IEEE Int. Conference on Semantic Computing, Berkeley, 2009.
Postdoctoral Fellowship from British Telecom University of California, Berkeley,
NSERC – Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Postdoctoral
Fellowship (PDF), 2008-2010.
NSERC – Natural Science and Engineering Research Council, Graduate Scholarships
and Fellowships, PGSD2, 2007-2009.
OGS-Ontario Graduate Scholarships in Science and Technology, Ph.D., 2007-2008.
Ph.D. Fellowship, University of Toronto, 2005-2008.
Student Travel Grant from IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, 2007.
Best Paper Award, North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society, 2007.
Ontario, Canada Graduate Scholarship in Science and Tech. (OGS-ST), 2006-2007.
Research Assistantship Support, University of Toronto, 2005-2006.
Master of Science Fellowship, University of Toronto, 2004-2005.
Research Assistantship Support, University of Toronto, 2004-2005
Full Grant for Undergraduate Study, ISTEK Foundation (Turkey), 1993-1997
Invited Talks and Tutorials
Invited Tutorial Deep Learning for NLP at Coling, 2018.
Invited Talk NIPS Workshop on Conversational AI, 2017.
Panelist at NIPS Workshop on Conversational AI, 2017.
Tutorial on Deep Learning for Conversational Dialog Systems at ACL 2017
Interspeech 2017 and ICASSP 2017.
Intelligent Personal Assistants and Signal Processing Challenges, IEEE Signal Processing Society Santa Clara Valley Chapter, November, 2014.
Language Understanding, Machine Learning Summer School, UC Santa Cruz, 2012.
Conversational Understanding, BISC Lab in Computer Science, UC Berkeley, 2011.
Question Answering Made Easy, Int. Computer Science Institute, Berkeley, 2010.
Question Answering Effort in BISC Lab IEEE Int. Conf. Semantic Computing, Stanford, CA, 2009.
Lecture on Generative Adversarial Networks at the AI School at MSR AI, 2017.
Lecture on Deep Learning for Interactive Systems at the AI School at MSR AI, 2017.
Lecture on “Knowledge Modeling and Management”, Univ. of Toronto, 2007.
Lecture on “Data Modeling”, University of Toronto, 2006.
Lecture on “Decision Analysis”, University of Toronto, 2005.
Asli Celikyilmaz. An Overview of Speech and Related Papers @ ACL 2012, In the Proc. of IEEE SLT Newsletter, 2012.
Asli Celikyilmaz, Dilek Hakkani-Tur, Hua He, Grzegorz Kondrak, Denilson Barbosa. The Actor-Topic Model for Extracting Social Networks in Literary Narrative, Neural Information Processing Systems NIPS 2010 in Machine Learning for Social Computing Workshop, Vancouver & Whistler, Canada.
Asli Celikyilmaz and Dilek Hakkani-Tür. A Hybrid Hierarchical Model for Multi-Document Summarization. ACL 2010 – The 48th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Uppsala, Sweden, July, 2010. (the acceptance rate: 25%)
Asli Celikyilmaz, Dilek Hakkani-Tür, and Gokhan Tur. LDA Based Similarity Modeling for Question Answering. NAACL-HLT 2010. Workshop on Semantic Search, Los Angeles, CA, June 2010.
Asli Celikyilmaz and Dilek Hakkani-Tür. A Graph-Based Semi-Supervised Learning for Question Semantic Labeling. NAACL-HLT 2010, Workshop on Semantic Search, Los Angeles, CA, June 2010.
Asli Celikyilmaz Semantic Question Answering System with Topic Models. NIPS 2010 – Workshop on Applications of Topic Models : Text and Beyond.
Asli Celikyilmaz and Dilek Hakkani-Tür. Extractive Summarization using A Latent Variable Model. Interspech 2010 – The Annual Conference of the International Speech Communication Association, Makuhari, Japan, September, 2010.
Asli Celikyilmaz, Dilek Hakkani-Tür, and Junlan Feng. Probabilistic Model-Based Sentiment Analysis of Twitter Messages SLT-2010 – IEEE Workshop on Spoken Language Technologies, Berkeley, CA, December 2010.
Asli Celikyilmaz & I. Burhan Turksen Information Extraction From Text – Dealing With Imprecise Data Fuzzy Systems by INTECH 2010 – Book Chapter
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Turksen. Learning Semantic Similarity with Soft Computing. Information Sciences 2010
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Turksen. Decision Making With Imprecise Parameters. International Journal of Approximate Reasoning (IJAR) Invited Paper, 2010.
Asli Celikyilmaz and Marcus Thint and Zhiheng Huang A Graph-based Semi-Supervised Learning for Question-Answering ACL 2009 – Association for Computational Linguistics. (the acceptance rate: 21%)
Asli Celikyilmaz Soft-Link Spectral Clustering for Information Extraction IEEE-ICSC 2009 – Third IEEE Int. Conf. on Semantic Computing. Winner of Best Paper Award.
Zhiheng Huang and Marcus Thint and Asli Celikyilmaz Investigation of Question Classifier in Question Answering EMNLP 2009 – Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing. (the acceptance rate: 34%)
Zhiheng Huang and Guangping Zeng, W. Xu and Asli Celikyilmaz Accurate Semantic Class Classifier for Coreference Resolution. EMNLP 2009 – Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing. (the acceptance rate: 34%)
Asli Celikyilmaz Graph-Based Semi-Supervised Learning for Learning Semantic Relations from Text WIML 2009 @ NIPS 2009 – Woman in Machine Learning Workshop.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Turksen Spectral Learning with Type-2 Fuzzy Numbers for Question/Answering System IFSA 2009– World Congress EUSFLAT Conference 2009
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Turksen Kernel Based Hybrid Fuzzy Clustering for Non-Linear Fuzzy Classifiers NAFIPS 2009 – Int. Conf. of North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Turksen Modeling Uncertainty with Fuzzy Logic: With Recent Theory and Applications. Springer Book 2009.
Asli Celikyilmaz A Soft Link Spectral Model for Link Prediction. International Journal of Semantic Computing 3:4 2009.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Turksen. Increasing Accuracy of Two Class Pattern Recognition with Improved Fuzzy Functions. Expert Systems with Applications, 36, 2009.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Turksen. Genetic Fuzzy System Based on Improved Fuzzy Functions. Journal of Computers 4:2 2009.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan. Semantic Approach to Textual Entailment for Question Answering TurksenICCI 2008 – IEEE International Conference on Cognitive Informatics.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan. Analysis of Interim Fuzzy Functions, IMS2008 – 6th Int. Symposium of Intelligent and Manufacturing Systems.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Type-2 Fuzzy Classifier Ensembles for Text Entailment Asli Celikyilmaz and I.Burhan Turksen JCIS 2008 – Joint Conference on Information Sciences.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Uncertainty Bounds of Fuzzy C-Regression Method Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Turksen WCCI 2008 – IEEE Int. Conference on Fuzzy Systems-World Congress on Computational Intelligence.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan. Genetic Type-2 Fuzzy Classifier Functions Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Turksen NAFIPS 2008 – Int. Conf. of North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan. A Type-2 Fuzzy C-regression Method Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Turksen IPMU 2008 – Int. Conf. on Inform. Process. and Management of Uncertainty in Knowledge-Based Systems.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan. Uncertainty modeling with evolutionary improved fuzzy functions approach Uncertainty Modeling with Evolutionary Improved Fuzzy Functions Approach Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Turksen IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics- Part B 38:4 2008.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan. Enhanced Fuzzy System Models with Improved Fuzzy Clustering Algorithm Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Turksen IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems 16:3 2008.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan. Validation Criteria for Enhanced Fuzzy Clustering Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Turksen Pattern Recognition Letters 29 2008.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan A New Classifier Design with Fuzzy Functions Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Turksen RSKT 2007 – International Conference on Rough Sets and Knowledge Technology.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Evolution of Fuzzy System Models: An Overview and New Directions Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Turksen RSKT 2007 – International Conference on Rough Sets and Knowledge Technology.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan. Type 2 Fuzzy System Models with Improved Fuzzy Functions. NAFIPS 2007 – Int. Conf. of North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society. Winner of Best Student Paper Award.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Evolutionary Fuzzy System Models with Improved Fuzzy Functions and Its Application to Industrial Process IEEE-SMC 2007 – IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, Cybernetics.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Improved Interval Valued Fuzzy Reasoning with Evolutionary Computing JCIS 2007 – International Conference on Fuzzy Theory & Technology.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan A New Cluster Validity Index with Fuzzy Functions. IFSA 2007– World Congress EUSFLAT Conference.
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan Fuzzy Functions with Support Vector Machines. Information Sciences 177 2007
Asli Celikyilmaz and I. Burhan. Comparison of Fuzzy Functions with Fuzzy Rule Bases, International Journal of Fuzzy Systems 8:3 2006.
- IEEE, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Member.
- ISCA, International Speech Communication Association, Member.
- ACL, The Association for Computational Linguistics, Member.
- Local Chair of Spoken Language Technologies Workshop – SLT 2014
- Area Chair for Dialog and Interactive Systems at ACL 2014
- Co-Chair for the NAFIPS Soft Computing Conference in Berkeley, CA, 2012
- Program Committee member for:
- Association of Computational Linguistics (ACL) 2012-2014
- Special Interest Group on Discourse and Dialog (SIGDIAL) 2014
- International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING) 2014
- Association of Computational Linguistics Student Research Workshop (ACL-SRW) 2013-2015
- Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS) 2012-2013
- Transactions of Audio, Speech and Language Processing (T-ASL) 2012-2014
- Annual Conf. of the Int. Speech Communication Association (InterSpeech) 2010-2013
- IEEE Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP) 2012-2015
- IEEE Workshop on Spoken Language Technology, 2010-2014
- International Conference on Semantic Computing (ISCS) 2010-2013
- Tutorial on Deep Learning for Dialog Systems at ACL 2017, ICASSP 2017 and Interspeech 2017.
- Organized “Spoken Language Understanding and Interactions” Workshop at NIPS 2015.
- NAACL 2016 Area Chair.
- Invited Talk at IEEE Signal Processing Society Santa Clara Chapter, Nov. 2014.
- Presenting a long paper at EMNLP 2014.
- Serving as area chair for Dialogue and Interactive Systems at ACL 2014.
- Local Committee Chair for IEEE SLT 2014.
- Looking for enthusiastic research interns (PhD level). Please e-mail me if you are interested.
- NEW! Serving as a member of the ACL Conferences International Sponsorship Committee, North America Correspondent.
- Program committees (past 12 months): ACL’15, ACL Student Workshop, EMNLP’15, COLING’15, SIGDIAL’15, INTERSPEECH’15, ICASSP’15, NIPS’15, ACL 2014 Student Research Workshop, SIGDIAL 2014,, Coling 2014.
- Journal Reviewing: IEEE Transactions Signal Processing, Information Science.