: A First-Order Type for Uncertain Data,” J. Bornholt, T. Mytkowicz, and K.S. McKinley, ASPLOS 2014. Selected for ACM SIGPLAN Research Highlights, November 2014. Selected for IEEE MICRO Top Picks June, 2015.
- “Myths and Realities: The Performance Impact of Garbage Collection,” B.M. Blackburn, P. Cheng, and K.S. McKinley, SIGMETRICS 2004, selected for ACM SIGMETRICS Test of Time Award, August 2014.
- “Optimizing for Parallelism and Data Locality,” Ken Kennedy and K. S. McKinley, ICS 1992, selected for ICS 25th Anniversary Volume, 2014.
- Most Influential OOPSLA Paper Award from 2002 (awarded 2012): E. Berger, B. Zorn, and K.S. McKinley, Reconsidering Custom Memory Allocation,” OOPSLA, Seattle WA, November 2002.
- SIGPLAN Programming Languages Software Award 2012, for contributions to Jikes RVM.
- “Looking Back and Looking Forward: Power, Performance, and Upheaval,” CACM Research Highlight, 2012 (Abbreviated for a general audience from ASPLOS 2011.)
- “What is Happening to Power, Performance, and Software?” IEEE Micro Top Picks 2012. (Abbreviated for architects from ASPLOS 2011.)
- ACM SIGPLAN Distinguished Service Award, 2011
- IEEE Fellow
- ACM Fellow
Testimony to House Science Committee
On February 14, 2013, Kathryn McKinley on behalf of Microsoft testified along with Ed Lazowska (UW) and Kelly Gaither (Texas Advanced Computing Center) to the House Science Committee’s Subcommittee on Research and Science Education on the topic of innovation in information technology. Her testimony focused on (1) the academic, industry, and government ecosystem that is driving innovations in the IT sector; (2) the need for investment in key research areas such as big data, privacy, secure systems and computing performance; and (3) increasing diversity to meet computing workforce needs and drive innovation. Video
- UT computer science professors tell Congress innovation depends on investments in basic research, Houston Chronicle, February 15, 2013.
- UT Press Release
- Computing Research Policy Blog
- Computing Community Consortium Blog
- Subcommittee Discusses the NITRD Program, Science Committee Democrats, February 14, 2013.
Press on power efficiency
- “Researchers Corral Chip Power-Performance Requirements,” Gregory Goth, Communications of the ACM, January 30, 2012.
- “Towards Lowering the Power Consumption of Microprocessors,” UT Press, January 20, 2012.