I am a Senior Researcher in the Data Management, Exploration, and Mining (DMX) group at Microsoft Research (MSR) in Redmond, WA. I completed my PhD from the Department of Computer Science, University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB) in Fall 2011. I had the pleasure to be advised by Professors Divy Agrawal and Amr El Abbadi during the course of my PhD as a member of the Distributed Systems Lab.
I am originally from the “City of Joy” Kolkata in India. My undergraduate study was in Jadavpur University, Kolkata. I completed my Bachelor of Engineering from the Department of Computer Science and Engineering in 2006.
My broader research interests span the horizon of scalable database management systems. My current research focusses on efficient resource management for cloud database infrastructures and automated tuning (in particular automated indexing) of multi-tenant relational database-as-a-service. My past research at Microsoft has focused on performance isolation in multi-tenant relational database-as-a-service, and scale-out transaction processing systems leveraging modern hardware paradigms.
My research at MSR has shaped several key features and business offerings in Microsoft’s Azure SQL Database platform. Our work in the SQLVM project formed the basis of CPU performance isolation capabilities, which was exposed as the new Service Tiers and Performance Levels, made generally available in September 2014 for Azure SQL Database, and new resource governance functionality in SQL Server 2016. We continue to work in this area to improve efficiency of Azure DB’s infrastructure with new node-local and cluster-wide resource management mechanisms and policies. Our work on automated indexing has significantly enhanced the ability to automatically recommend a variety of index structures (shipped with Database Tuning Advisor along with SQL Server 2017) and significant enhancements to index recommendations in the Auto-indexing offering in Azure SQL Database
My thesis research focused on developing scalable, elastic, and autonomic transaction processing systems to support cloud application platforms. I have worked on projects to design large scale analytics platforms for multi-dimensional data to support location based services and to allow deep statistical analysis over large amounts of data. I have also worked on data management systems leveraging modern hardware paradigms such as flash memory or content addressable memory. In the past, I have also worked on data stream processing systems and wireless networks.
Serving on the program committees of SIGMOD 2019 Research, ICDE 2019 Research, CIDR 2019. Awarded Distinguished PC Member for SIGMOD 2018. Serving on the program committees of SIGMOD 2018 Research, SIGMOD 2018 Student Research Competition, VLDB 2018 Research, and VLDB 2018 Demo. Our work on recommending Columnstore and B+ tree indexes (or Hybrid physical designs) shipped in Database Engine Tuning Advisor for Microsoft SQL Server. [Blog][Paper] Serving as Senior PC Member, CIKM 2017. Awarded Distinguished PC Member for SIGMOD 2017. Serving on the program committees of SIGMOD 2017, VLDB 2017, and CIDR 2017. Our paper exploring the impact of remote memory and RDMA to appear in SIGMOD 2016. Serving as the Industry Chair of COMAD 2016. Our papers reporting new results and improvements to Hyder to appear in SIGMOD 2015 and IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin. Co-chairing the workshop on Cloud Data Management (CloudDM 2015) co-located with IEEE ICDE 2015. Serving on the program committees of SOCC 2015, VLDB 2016/Editorial Board of PVLDB Vol. 9. Serving on the Editorial Board of the Springer International Journal of Distributed and Parallel Databases. Delivered Keynote address at COMAD 2013 based on our Rethinking Consistency work. Serving on the Program Committee of SIGMOD 2014 and DASFAA 2014. Our paper on CPU sharing in Multi-tenant Relational Database-as-a-Service (part of the SQLVM Project), got accepted to VLDB 2014/PVLDB Vol 7. Instructor for the VLDB Summer School 2013 in Shanghai, China, held at East China Normal University. My dissertation won the ACM SIGMOD Jim Gray Doctoral Dissertation Award. [Award Citation] [SIGMOD News] [UCSB CS News] Serving on the Program committee for VLDB 2014/Editorial board of PVLDB Vol. 7. Serving on the Program committee of DBSocial 2013, Middleware 2013, COMAD 2013, and the poster track of CIKM 2013. Our paper entitled “Characterizing Tenant Behavior for Placement and Crisis Mitigation in Multitenant DBMSs” accepted for SIGMOD 2013. Our tutorial entitled “Rethinking Eventual Consistency” will be presented at SIGMOD 2013. Our book, co-authored with my advisors, Prof. Divy Agrawal and Prof. Amr El Abbadi, entitled “Data Management in the Cloud: Challenges and Opportunities” published in the Synthesis Lectures on Data Management.My dissertation, entitled “Scalable and Elastic Transactional Data Stores for Cloud Computing Platforms,” was awarded the 2012 Lancaster Dissertation Award in Mathematics, Physical Sciences, & Engineering by the UCSB Graduate Division. My dissertation was also awarded the 2012 Outstanding Dissertation Award by the Computer Science Department at UCSB.
- Distinguished PC Member, ACM SIGMOD 2018
- Distinguished PC Member, ACM SIGMOD 2017
- 2013 ACM SIGMOD Jim Gray Dissertation Award. [Award Citation] [SIGMOD News] [UCSB CS News]
- 2012 Lancaster Dissertation Award in Mathematics, Physical Sciences, & Engineering by the UCSB Graduate Division [UCSB CS News]
- 2012 Outstanding Dissertation Award in CS at UCSB [UCSB CS News]
- Best Paper Award at the 5th Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR) 2011 [UCSB CS News]
- Best Runner-up paper Award at the 12th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Data Management (MDM) 2011
- 2011 Outstanding Student Award in CS at UCSB [UCSB CS News]
- UCSB CS Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award for Fall 2008
- 2006 TCS-JU Best Undergraduate Student Award
- “Optimizing Optimistic Concurrency Control for Tree-Structured, Log-Structured Databases,” presented at SIGMOD 2015, Melbourne, Australia.
- “Performance Isolation in Multi-Tenant Relational Database-as-a-Service,” invited talk at the Basser Seminar Series, School of Information Technology, University of Sydney, June 2015.
- “Performance Isolation in Multi-Tenant Relational Database-as-a-Service,” invited talk at the SDI/ISTC Seminar Series, Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University, May 2015.
- “Performance Isolation in Multi-Tenant Relational Database-as-a-Service,” invited talk at the Database Seminar Series, Computer Science, University of Waterloo, May 2015. Recording.
- “CPU Sharing Techniques for Performance Isolation in Multitenant Relational Database-as-a-Service,” presented at VLDB 2014, Hangzhou, China.
- “SQLVM: Performance Isolation in Multi-Tenant Relational Database-as-a-Service,” invited talk presented at East China Normal University, Shanghai, China.
“Rethinking Eventual Consistency: Can we do better?” Keynote address at the 19th International Conference on Management of Data (COMAD 2013).
“Scalable and Elastic Transactional Data Stores for Cloud Computing Platforms,” 2013 Jim Gray Doctoral Dissertation Award talk presented at ACM SIGMOD/PODS 2013, New York, NY, USA.
“Rethinking Eventual Consistency,” Tutorial presented at ACM SIGMOD/PODS 2013, New York, NY, USA.
“Data Serving Systems in Cloud Computing Platforms,” VLDB Summer School 2013, Shanghai, China.
- “Scalable, Consistent, and Elastic Database Systems for Cloud Platforms”, presented at various industry research labs. A recording of the talk presented at Microsoft Research, Redmond can be found here.
- “Albatross: Lightweight Elasticity in Shared Storage Databases for the Cloud using Live Data Migration”, presented at VLDB 2011, Seattle, WA, USA.
- “Zephyr: Live Migration in Shared Nothing Databases for Elastic Cloud Platforms”, presented at SIGMOD 2011, Athens, Greece.
- “Big Data and Cloud Computing: Current State and Future Opportunities”[Part1][Part2], Tutorial presented at EDBT 2011, Uppsala, Sweden.
- “Big Data and Cloud Computing: New Wine or just New Bottles?”[Part1][Part2], Tutorial presented at VLDB 2010, Singapore
- “Ricardo: Integrating R and Hadoop”, presented at SIGMOD 2010, Indianapolis, IN, USA
- “G-Store: A Scalable Data Store for Transactional Multi key Access in the Cloud”, presented at SoCC 2010, Indianapolis, IN, USA
- “Anonymizing Weighted Social Network Graphs”, presented at ICDE 2010, Long Beach, CA
- “Thread Cooperation in Multicore Architectures for Frequency Counting Over Multiple Data Streams”, presented at VLDB 2009, Lyon, France.
- “Out-of-Order Processing: A New Architecture for High-Performance Stream Systems”, presented at CS 595D, Winter 2009 at UCSB.
- Workshop on Cloud Data Management (CloudDM) 2015, Co-Chair
- 21st International Conference on Management of Data (COMAD) 2016, Industry Chair
- International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM) 2017 Senior PC.
Journal Editorial Boards
- Springer International Journal of Distributed and Parallel Databases, Associate Editor
- VLDB 2018/PVLDB Vol. 11 Research
- VLDB 2018 Demo
- SIGMOD 2018 Research
- SIGMOD 2018 Student Research Competition
VLDB 2014/PVLDB Vol. 7.
- COMAD 2013.
- DBSocial 2013.
- CloudDB 2013, co-located with ICDE 2013.
- CIKM 2013 Poster track.
- Middleware 2013.
- SIGMOD 2013.
- ICDE 2013.
- VLDB 2013/PVLDB Vol. 6.
- Distributed and Parallel Databases
- IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering
- IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems
- VLDB Journal
- IEEE Internet Computing
- IEEE Computer
- Instructor at the VLDB Summer School 2013, Shanghai, China, July 2013.
- Helped organize the NSF Workshop “Science of Cloud” held in March 2011
- SIGMOD 2008
- ICDE 2009 and 2010
- VLDB 2011 & 2012
- EDBT 2009
- SoCC 2011
- CIKM 2008
- SSDBM 2009 and 2011
- DaMoN 2009
- EuroPar 2011
- SIGSPATIAL 2009
- LADIS 2010